Today I’m bringing you one of my classics: THE Bar. I first rolled these babies out following a trip to Peru’s Sacred Valley where I visited biodynamic farms and bushwhacked my way through the jungle to find wild cacao trees. It was awesome.
These bars are chockablock with super plants like raw cacao nibs, walnuts, cashews, coconut, cinnamon and cardamom.
It’s a 3:00 PM pick-me-up that I love, my wife loves, and most importantly, my 7 year old gives them five stars. Anything to avoid HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired!).
Looking ahead, they also make pretty DIY holiday gifts.
- 1 cup raw cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup pitted dried dates, soaked in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes, and drained
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 large vanilla bean, slit down the middle and seeds draped out
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/3 cup (or more) of high quality dark chocolate chips
- Step 1 Place the cacao nibs, coconut, cashews, and walnuts in a food processor and pulse until the cashew pieces are still on the large side.
- Step 2 Add the dates, coconut oil, vanilla, cardamom and cinnamon. Pulse until mixed.
- Step 3 Add the oats and pulse just until mixed.
- Step 4 Add the chocolate chips and hemp seeds, and mix with a spatula. Transfer the mix to a parchment-lined baking dish and spread evenly, patting it down evenly. Place another sheet of parchment on top and leave to set in the fridge
- Step 5 Cut into rectangles or squares. Wrap in parchment paper and tie with a bow for gifts.