This is what pasta night looks like when I swap out my ho-hum gluten-free for Banza’s Cauliflower Penne and toss it with my Spinach + Walnut Pesto, crumble some Spicy Italian Sausage (meatless or real deal ~ you decide) and Charred Artichoke Hearts.
I’ve not only included the Spinach-Walnut Pesto recipe, but the whole pasta dish (just in case!).
Makes 4 servings
1 box Banza Cauliflower Penne
1 can artichokes hearts, drained and sliced in half
2 links Hot Italian Sausage (Beyond Meat is both vegan + gluten-free)
Extra virgin olive oil
Optional: Parmesan or Walnut ‘Parmesan’
SPINACH-WALNUT PESTO (VEGAN)
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 cup fresh cilantro
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 clove garlic (optional)
⅛ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Pasta: Make the pasta according to the package directions.
2. Artichokes: Thoroughly dry the artichokes, and slice each one in half. Heat a teaspoon or two of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the artichokes and brown on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes each side.
3. Pesto: Place spinach, cilantro, walnuts, garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor; pulse until combined. Pour in oil slowly, until mixture forms a smooth paste.
4. Sausage: Brown the links in a skillet over medium-high heat until thoroughly cooked. I like to crumble the links, but you can brown the sausage in 1/2 inch coins, too.
5. To Serve: Gently toss about a 1/3 cup of pesto with the pasta. Divide among bowls and top with sausage and artichokes. Optional garnish is parmesan or ‘Walnut Parmesan.‘