Spinach + Artichoke Frittata
July 19, 2020
: 4 to 6
- This recipe hails from Three Eggs + A Can by Kendra Vaculin and it’s the best. We swapped cream cheese for Kite Hill’s cream cheese to make this recipe dairy-free
- 6 eggs
- Salt + pepper
- 3 to 4 ounces of Kite Hill almond milk ‘cream cheese’, room temperature
- 10 oz to 1 lb frozen spinach, squeeze out the water and roughly chop the contents (unless its already chopped)
- Olive oil
- Shallot, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- The juice and zest of ½ lemon
- Red pepper flakes
- Optional: 1/3 cup Parmesan or vegan Parmesan (for extra cheesy flavor)
- 1 can whole artichokes in water, drained
- Optional: Fresh herbs
- Optional: Hot sauce or salsa verde
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Step 2 In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth, and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3 Break up the cream cheese into pieces and drop it into the eggs.
- Step 4 In a skillet, sauté the spinach in a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Once the shallot is softened, transfer the spinach mixture into the bowl of eggs, and add the lemon juice and lemon zest. Add the red pepper flakes, and Parmesan (optional). Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Step 5 Slice each artichoke in half. Wipe the same pan clean and heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Arrange the artichokes cut side down. After about three minutes, carefully pour the egg-spinach mixture over the top, and spread it into an even layer. Cook this for about four more minutes, just so the bottom sets and the sides are beginning to pull back from the pan, then transfer the whole thing to the 350°F oven to cook through, which should take about 15 minutes.
- Step 6 When you flip the frittata back over onto a plate (be careful, it’s hot!), the artichokes form a browned swirly pattern. Finish with a sprinkling of fresh herbs and a drizzle of hot sauce, or serve with salsa verde.