Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with these Mexican-inspired Chili Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are grain-free, dairy-free, and oh-so-good!
I love the hints of cinnamon and cayenne with dark chocolate and almond.
1 large egg
1 cup almond butter (freshly ground, natural almond butter works best)
1/2 cup coconut palm sugar or light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon or more cayenne
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
Maldon salt, or your favorite flaked salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add in the almond butter, baking soda, cinnamon, cayenne, vanilla, and sugar and mix thoroughly. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of dough onto baking sheet. Evenly space the cookies apart, and flatten them slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Don’t over-bake! The cookies will look underdone, but they will firm up as they cool.
- Let them cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer them carefully to a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with Maldonado or your favorite flaked salt