Kale Caesar with Roasted Delicata Squash is a summer-meets-fall favorite that’s hearty yet light, and the squash is so good for your gut health! It’s topped with grated daikon and toasted squash seeds because, after all, #zerowaste rules!
The WHY of DELICATA SQUASH
Winter squashes are starting to pop up at the farmers market here in Brooklyn. They are affordable, easy to cook, and one of the best vegetables for gut health. If you suffer from gas, bloating, fatigue, moodiness, lack of energy, skin rashes, anxiety, or digestive issues, your gut probably needs some healing. Squashes like delicata contain prebiotics that help support the growth of probiotics in our gut. Prebiotics help support the good bacteria in our gut, which fights pathogens and the not-so-good bacteria in our body. Squashes are also a good source of omega-3s, Vitamin A, and fiber – all of which support our gut and immunity.
KALE CEASAR WITH ROASTED DELICATA SQUASH
- One medium delicata squash with orange stripes (the green aren’t as sweet)
- Ghee or coconut oil
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 leaves of lacinato kale, rolled up into a cigar shape and cut into ribbons
- 1 small purple daikon or regular radish, grated
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 snack size sheet of nori
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Step 1 Delicata Squash: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Use a large, sharp knife to slice off the stems of the squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and string. Save the seeds, if roasting, and set aside. Slice the squash into 1/4 to ½ inch thick half moons. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast until tender and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Step 2 Toasted Seeds: Separate the seeds from the flesh. Place seeds in a skillet and heat over low heat, stirring every few minutes, until lightly browned.
- Step 3 Dressing: In a high-speed blender, add the lemon juice, garlic, miso paste, nori, and vegan mayo. Blend at a low speed, slowly increasing speed. Add olive oil in a steady stream.
- Step 4 To Serve: Toss the kale with the Ceasar Dressing. Divide between two bowls. Top with the delicata squash, toasted seeds, and grated daikon.