One from My New Roots that captures all the best of sun-ripened heirloom tomatoes for a grain-free, plant-based, stunningly flavorful meal.
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- ½ packed cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ½ packed cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1 small red onion
- Grated zest of 1 organic lemon
- 4-5 medium heirloom tomatoes in different colors (about 1 ½ lbs)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
- Flaky sea salt, for serving
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon raw honey or pure maple syrup
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Step 1 In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas until grain-size. Put them in a large bowl. Finely chop the parsley and mint leaves, and add the herbs to the chickpeas.
- Step 2 Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes
- Step 3 Immediately remove pine nuts from the pan and transfer them to a plate to cool
- Step 4 Add the cooled pine nuts, hemp seeds, and sliced onion, and lemon zest to the chickpea mixture
- Step 5 Make the dressing: Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, honey, and salt together in a small bowl. Pour this over the salad, tossing to combine.
- Step 6 Slide the tomatoes into thick steaks and arrange them on individual plates. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with flaky salt. Spoon the tabbouleh over the tomatoes, and serve.