When I was a chef at Pure Food + Wine (RIP), I was often tasked with making the collard wraps, which were as delicious as they were labor intensive! This collard wrap is a mega-simplified version. It fills the sandwich or wrap craving when you’re trying to eat mostly salads 😉
- 4 large collard green leaves, stem and rib removed
- olive oil
- 1 ripe mango, sliced into matchsticks
- any protein: shredded chicken, baked tofu or tempeh, grilled shrimp
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of almond butter
- pickled red cabbage, beets or carrots
- matchsticks of jicama
- fresh sprigs of herbs like cilantro and Thai basil
- rice, fonio, quinoa, or roasted sweet potato
Lightly massage the collard green leaves with just a bit of olive oil.
Lay a collard green leaf (you should have 8 halves total) on a cutting board, outer leaf facing down.
- Step 3 In the center of the leaf, place a few tablespoons of pickled vegetables, a few strips of chicken or tofu, mango, jicama and fresh herbs. You can also add roasted sweet potato or rice.
- Step 4 Roll up the leaf and seal it with a dot of almond butter on the inner leaf.
- Step 5 Serve with a side of different salsas and dips, such as Carrot-Ginger or Peanut Sauce.