COCONUT CHANA SAG
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Several turns of freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp garam masala (optional)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne, or more
- 1 large can whole tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained (3 cups)
- 1 head chard or kale, or 1 lb frozen kale or spinach, chopped (both are equally good!)
- 1 (15 oz) can regular coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Cooked basmati rice
- Mango chutney
- TOPPINGS + STIR-INS
- Hot sauce
- Step 1 Preheat a large saucepan over a medium-low heat and add the coconut oil. Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Step 2 Add the garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the curry powder, salt, pepper, garam masala, cumin and cayenne, and toss to coat the onions.
- Step 3 Add the tomato juice from the can, scraping the bottom of the pan. Chop the tomatoes on a cutting board, or squish them with your fingers as you put them in the pot, to mash them up. Add the chickpeas and mix well.
- Step 4 Cover the pot and heat over medium. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step 5 Add the coconut milk, and allow to heat through. Stir in the chopped greens (fresh or frozen), and allow to heat through. Add the lime juice, then taste for seasoning. It tastes best if you let it sit for 10 minutes or so, but if you can’t wait, go for it! Serve over basmati rice and with a side of mango chutney and coriander on top.
This recipe is only very slightly modified from Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week by Isa Chandra Moskowitz