When I was a kid, my favorite appetizer was Fried Zucchini. My son’s favorite is a bowl of fries with ketchup.
Last night was Game Night at our house and we had three different types of fries and some sauces for dipping while we played several rounds of Phase 10. If you haven’t played, it’s addictively awesome!
In my house we love better-for-you comfort food and I think you’ll enjoy this grain-free, dairy-free, and baked version of my favorite Fried Zucchini as much as we do.
Serve it with marinara sauce or aioli. I whipped up some almond milk cream cheese with a few tablespoons of lemon juice for a dairy-free lemon aioli and it was pretty rad.
BAKED ‘FRIED’ ZUCCHINI
- Olive oil spray
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup blanched almonds (no skin)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 large zucchini (unpeeled), cut into 1/4 inch thick fries
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with olive oil.
- Step 2 In a food processor, pulse the almonds until you get a sandy texture. Set aside.
- Step 3 In a shallow bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- Step 4 In another bowl, mix together 1 cup of the almond flour with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
- Step 5 Place the zucchini fries in the egg whites and toss to thoroughly coat.
- Step 6 Dredge each zucchini fry, one at a time, in the almond flour (gently press the mixture so it adheres to the zucchini). Place each fry on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Step 7 Lightly spray the fries with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes on the center rack, flipping the fries halfway through.
- Step 8 Serve with warmed marinara sauce, or an aioli.