Eating in season always tastes best – and it’s good for you, too! I love this salad paired with Roasted Baby Potatoes with Lemony Gremolata for a healthy AND hearty lunch or dinner. Serve with a side of Avocado Herb Dressing (recipe below) and you’ve got yourself a spring beauty.
Asparagus + Spring Pea Salad
Makes 3 to 4 servings
1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed
1 bag frozen peas
Extra-virgin olive oil
Edible flowers or pretty radishes, like watermelon radish or purple daikon
Toasted pine nuts
Fresh mint or basil
- Blanch the asparagus for 1 minute in a large pot of salted boiling water. Keep the water, but remove the asparagus and immediately plunge the spears into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and keep the green bright. Drain and pat dry on with a clean kitchen towel.
- Add the frozen peas to the boiling water for 1 minute. Drain in a colander and allow to dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently add the peas and asparagus and dress with the garlic lemon dressing.
- Transfer to a platter and garnish with pine nuts, edible flowers, and fresh herbs.
Avocado Herb Dressing
Inspired by Love & Lemons
1 ripe avocado, pitted
¾ cup water
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice, or more
1 tablespoon fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley
1 small garlic clove
½ teaspoon Himalyan salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Combine the avocado, water, olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, garlic, salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper in a blender. Blend until creamy. If the dressing is too thick, stir in a little more water to reach a drizzelable consistency, if desired.